Master of Science in Advertising
The Department of Advertising typically admits about 20-25 M.S. students each year. These students come from a variety of undergraduate degree programs and from places all over the world. Students are not required to have an undergraduate degree in advertising, though some background courses may be required before entering the program or taken concurrently during the first semester, such as introductory courses in advertising and statistics.
Students with an undergraduate degree in advertising can usually earn the M.S. degree in 12-18 months if they take a full course of study.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
Applications are only accepted for Fall admission, and completed online applications are due by February 1 (please note that this is the actual due date, not the date listed on the Programs of Study). Admission to the M.S. Advertising program requires completion of the requirements for a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of recognized standing, along with the following requirements:
- GRE or GMAT – Required for all students
- TOEFL and GRE/GMAT scores should be sent from the testing center to the University of Illinois. This is done electronically, using our institution code number 1836 and program office code 00. Please note that only international students need to do the TOEFL. We require minimum TOEFL scores of:
- IBT – 104
- PBT - 607
- Official transcripts from all universities that you have attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- A Statement of Purpose is required for all students.
Supporting materials may be uploaded on the electronic application or mailed to:
Charles H. Sandage Department of Advertising, 119 Gregory Hall, 810 S. Wright St., Urbana, IL USA 61801
More information regarding admission.
Information about the submission of letters of recommendation and Statement of Purpose can be found on the electronic application.
If you need specific information regarding your application, you can email Emilie McGill.
These additional websites also may be of help to you in preparation for the application process: