119 Gregory Hall
- PhD, University of Southern California
- PhD, University of Iowa
- Professor of Media and Cinema Studies
- Professor of Communications
- Professor of Gender & Women’s Studies
- Professor in the Unit for Criticism & Interpretive Theory
- Faculty affiliate in African American Studies and Research Program; Sociology; and East Asian Studies
- New Media Literacy
- Sport & Documentary
- Queer Studies
Cole is the co-editor of “Women, Sport & Culture” (with Susan Birrell) and “Sport and Corporate Nationalisms” (with Michael Silk and David Andrews). She is currently completing a book manuscript tentatively titled “Good Sports? The Boundaries of American Democracy.” She is the co-editor of the SUNY book series (with Michael Messner), “Sport, Culture & Social Relations,” and editor of the Journal of Sport & Social Issues. She serves on the editorial boards of Cultural Studies — Critical Methodologies, Qualitative Research in Sport & Exercise, and the NYU book series, “Biopolitics: Medicine, Technoscience, & Health in the 21st Century.” She is the recipient of one of the University of Illinois’ Critical Research Initiative Awards and the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Teaching Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching.
Professor Cole is currently on sabbatical working with Chicago’s Beyondmedia Education, a non-profit, media-based social justice organization that works with underserved girls and women.