The College of Media is pleased to offer a number of scholarships for undergraduate students enrolled in the College. The scholarships will be applied toward tuition and fees during the upcoming school year, with the funds made available through the generous support of alumni and friends of the College. A College-wide committee reviews student records, and all submitted applications and often considers faculty recommendations when determining scholarship recipients.
The scholarship application period for the 2018-2019 academic year for continuing College of Media students is now open. At this time, all continuing College of Media undergraduates, including students who will be transferring into Media from both on and off-campus for the Fall 2018 term, are invited to apply. Applications must be completed by Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 3pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Please note, incoming freshmen should not complete the online application. The admission application to the University of Illinois is used for these students in determining scholarship awards from the College of Media. Please see the FAQ section below for more information.
The College committee will determine scholarship recipients according to the following criteria:
ELIGIBILITY: Students must currently be a major in the College of Media and must continue as students during the upcoming academic year. Incoming freshmen should not apply as they will be automatically considered. In addition, students must meet the criteria specified by the individual scholarship. For example, some scholarships are earmarked for a specific major in accordance with the wishes of those who donated money for those scholarships. Continuing students MUST complete a Scholarship Application in order to be considered for an award. There are no exceptions.
PERFORMANCE: Students should show a record of excellence and commitment in connection with their chosen major. The committee looks closely at grades in classes within the major. College of Media professors may also be asked by the committee for input on students’ performance within their courses. It also looks at related activities—internships, work with campus media, involvement in media-related organizations or clubs, etc.
Scholarships are awarded on merit and are not intended to be a substitute for financial aid.
A full list of available scholarships is below. This list is subject to change without prior notice. Students who complete the scholarship application will be considered for all applicable scholarships; it is not necessary to specify interest in a particular one. Awardees will be recognized at the College Honors Reception in the spring.
If you have been awarded a scholarship from the College of Media, information is available on how to write your thank you letter.
Frequently asked questions and answers for
CONTINUING STUDENTS (Including students who have just transferred into Media either from another College on the Illinois campus or off-campus transfers)
Additional Scholarship Resources
Studying Abroad? The Campus offers several scholarships for students planning to Study Abroad. Scholarships consider a variety of factors such as: financial need, academics, and geographic location of study. You may view them through the Study Abroad Office's website.
Information on applying for prestigious fellowships such as the Fulbright, Rhodes, or Luce Scholarships for national and/or international study are also available through the National & International Scholarships Program.
Although not run through the College of Media, you may wish to consider an online scholarship search through such sites as ScholarshipAmerica.org or Fastweb.com. You will need to complete paperwork on these sites. Be sure to include as much information as possible. While searching for scholarships online, please be advised that you should not give out personal information such as a bank account or Social Security number. Also beware of requests for an application or processing fee; this can often indicate a scam.
In addition, students may wish to seek out other media organizations that offer scholarships. Please note, applications and awards are determined by these other entities and the process is not tied, in any way, to the College of Media. Questions should be directed to the organizations offering the scholarships. Below are a few examples. This is a non-exhaustive list and students should be able to find other opportunities to apply for funds. As always, use caution when applying for scholarships not run through the University.
- National Association of Black Journalists – Chicago Chapter Scholarships
- Asian American Journalists Association Scholarships, Internship Grants
- Chips Quinn Scholarships
- Ruggles National Right to Work Journalism Scholarship
- Inter-American Press Association Excellence in Journalism Award
- National Association of Black Journalists Larry Whiteside Scholarship
- The Jack Shelley Broadcast Scholarship
- American Copy Editors Society Scholarships
- Overseas Press Club Foundation Scholarship
- Radio Television Digital News Association Scholarships
- Broadcast Education Association Scholarships
- National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS)
- Association for Women in Sports Media Internships and Scholarships
- Chicago Journalists Association Scholarship
- Peter Agris Memorial Journalism Scholarships
- BMI Founders Award for Radio Broadcasting
- Sinclair Broadcast Diversity Scholarship
- Illinois News Broadcasters Association
- University of Illinois Avery Brundage Scholarship
- NCTA & AWM Foundation Scholarship
- Association for Women in Sports Media Internship/ Scholarship Program
- Scripps Howard Foundation Semester in Washington Program
- Association for Women in Communications, Springfield Chapter, Communications Scholarship Fund
- The Ultimate Scholarship Guide
- Korva Coleman Excellence Awards
- College Photographer of the Year
- National Press Photographers Foundation Scholarships
- JVS Scholarship
- College Columnists Scholarship Contest
- Bodie McDowell Scholarship
- Washington Media Scholars Foundation Scholarships
- The Illinois Club Scholarships
- NBCUniversal Tony Coelho Media Scholarship
- Double Your Audience Marketing Scholarship
- International Women in Media Scholarship
- GoStartABlog Young Writers Scholarship
- Islamic Scholarship Fund for Film & Media
For more information on College of Media scholarships, please contact:
- Megan Tucker-Zwilling