The Ian Fleming Foundation Undergraduate Research Scholarship at the College of Media
This scholarship honors the late Ian Lancaster Fleming, journalist, critic, travel writer, and author of the James Bond novels.
The purpose of the scholarship is to provide incentive and support to an outstanding undergraduate student to become involved in primary research. The recipient of the $1,700 scholarship will complete an original research paper and presentation on a topic germane to the study of Ian Fleming and the literary James Bond. The scholarship funds will be awarded on the project’s completion.
The Ian Fleming Foundation (IFF) Undergraduate Research Scholarship is offered each year for undergraduate students who possess an outstanding track record of academic achievements, possess independent research potential, and have a passion for Ian Fleming and his written works.
Eligibility / selection criteria:
- Sophomore, junior, or senior status in the College of Media
- High academic achievement (a minimum GPA of 3.3/4.0)
- Must be prepared to present their completed research project to the IFF Board and apply to present at Illinois’ Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Complete application and provide a rough description or abstract of your project on Fleming/Bond including information about how you see the significance of this research to a broader audience and the specific methods you will use to carry out the research.
Some potential topics could be:
- Fleming as a journalist
- Fleming as a travel writer
- Fleming and food and drink
- Fleming and product placement
- Fleming, sex, and sexuality
- Fleming plots and real world events
- Fleming and America
- Fleming and his personal contacts with the likes of Churchill and the Kennedys
- Fleming and the Bond brand
(You will work with College of Media faculty and the scholarship program’s administrator to define your research project.)
Prior project examples:
Erin Blaber, 2016 -2017 recipient: http://bondgirls.me/
Applications due by Friday, Sept. 29, 2017
Complete the application here.