Spring 2018 course information will be released shortly.
Spring 2017 Industry Immersion - Portland, OR
- Available to all majors
- 2017 Spring Semester
- 24 Student Limit
- 3 Credits
- MDIA 390: 2nd 8-week class (March 13 - May 3, 2017)
- Wednesday 4:00 - 5:50p in 221 Gregory Hall
- Course Explorer
- May 15 - 20, 2017
- Portland, Oregon
- On-site Transportation: Eco-shuttle (charter bus)
- Flights and daily meals are not included
- 2017 Schedule
Potential visits include: Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, Columbia Sportswear, Patagonia, Portland Timbers, Moda Center, the Clymb, Portland Trailblazers, The Oregonian/OregonLive, North, Wieden + Kennedy, and more.
- Apply by: February 17, 2017
- Notified of Acceptance: March 3, 2017
- Commit to the Program: March 10, 2017
- Register by: March 17, 2017
- $1,550 program fee applied to your student account
- Financial Aid & Scholarships can be used
- Refund Policy
About the Course:
Instructor: Dr. CL Cole
This course emphasizes the real world application of theories and research about sport culture, media, and business in an effort to help prepare students to enter the sport industry as media professionals. Course materials cover the current state of the industry and emerging trends.
The course includes a 5-day field study in Portland, Oregon where students will meet with industry professionals as well established and emerging sport apparel companies, stadiums, action sport venues, advertising agencies, and Portland Development.
- Obtain a fundamental understanding of organizations, dynamics, relationships and practices associated with the role of media in sport industries
- Gain knowledge and insight into emergent trends in the sportmedia industry
- Build skills and abilities related to career development as it relates to the future direction of sportmedia and sportmedia professions
- Gain experience in creating and presenting multimedia presentations to a variety of audiences
- Display the ability to apply theory and research to real world experiences
- Build skills in developing perspectives, presenting ideas, and leading discussion on issues and topics related to the media and sport industries
Course Fee covers; on-site transportation, hotel, departure meal, site visits, and event tickets. Flight and daily meals not inlcuded.
University of Illinois
College of Media