Degrees & Programs
The Department of Media and Cinema Studies (MACS) is dedicated to preparing you to skillfully negotiate an ever-changing media landscape today and into the future. Our interdisciplinary curriculum emphasizes collaboration, creativity, and problem solving and will teach you to understand the media you consume and to produce compelling media of your own. MACS offers you maximum flexibility to design a path of study based on your interests and goals.
You will learn from award-winning faculty, including media makers, who take media and film as their objects of study. You will study topics such as:
- Culture and identity in popular culture, media and film
- Major media industries and forms in the US and around the world
- Film and media production from scriptwriting to video editing
- Political implications of global media conglomerates
- Impact of media on public opinion and society
- Creative and information economies
- Documentary film form and production
- New and emergent media technologies
- Sport and media’s intertwined relationship
- Film festival management
MACS graduates leave with a strong conceptual and theoretical understanding of the media, including the critical media practices and analytical skills to impact the media industry and the many industries now seeking media specialists.