What to Bring:
- Something to take notes with. While an electronic device is acceptable, you are encouraged to stick with pen and paper so that panelists don't wonder if you are taking notes, checking Facebook, or playing Candy Crush.
- Copies of your resume, if you have one. You never know who might want a copy.
- Business Cards, if you have them. You may want to pass them out at the networking event.
How to Prepare:
- Think about questions that you want answered. because these are the people to ask!
- Do some research on the fields that interest you and check out what trends are happening in the industry. You want to be able to ask informed questions. It is also okay to ask questions about things that you know nothing about as this is an opportunity to learn.
- Look at the schedule and start to map out which sessions that you want to attend. While you don't need to reserves a seat in advance, it will be good to have a game plan in place so that you can speak with the right people to get your questions answered.
Twitter: To find out more and follow along via Twitter, see the MCS handle (@IlliniosMCS) and use these hashtags: #MediaCareerNight and #ILLINOISmedia
At the event, we will have handouts that will include contact information for panelists (i.e., email addresses and Twitter handles), as well as “one thing students should ask me about”. This is to help you start conversations with panelists during the networking at the Newman Center and to connect with them post-event.
Questions? Email email@example.com