SportMedia is one of the most popular, dynamic, and fastest growing industries today.
Changes in media technology are revolutionizing the ways we think about and engage with sports. New media innovations have given rise to new relationships between athletes, fans, leagues, cities, events, and advertising. New technologies have brought us e-sports and fantasy sports, and given more people access to both broadcasting and following action and adventure sports. Media has changed the business of sports even at the level of ticketing, payment and stadium design. The innovations keep coming with no indication that they will be slowing down anytime soon.
By providing students with coursework that emphasizes the technological changes that are radically reshaping sports entertainment, this SportMedia certificate provides a practical foundation useful for understanding or working in today’s —and tomorrow’s—SportMedia industries.
- The SportMedia Certificate is a 15-hour undergraduate certificate.
- All courses for the SportMedia Certificate must be taken through Illinois. Course work from other universities cannot be used to meet the SportMedia Certificate requirements.
- Courses taken for the SportMedia Certificate may also be applied to undergraduate degrees. Contact your college for more information about transferability.
- MACS 224: SportMedia, Technology & Culture
- JOURN 460 or 361: Sports Journalism
- ADV 290: Sports PR
Two courses from the following list of electives:
- MACS 264 Creative and Information Economies
- MACS 320 Popular Culture
- MACS 364: Topics in Media Business
- KIN/SOC 249: Sport in Modern Society
- KIN/MACS 346: Case Study: Endless Summer
- RST 130: Sport Management
- MDIA 390: SportMedia Industry Immersion
- MACS 495: SportMedia Internship
After you have completed all of the requirements for the SportMedia Certificate, submit the completion form for final verification.
Once your information is complete and verified, we will mail your certificate to you.
Questions? Contact Kyle Potthast (firstname.lastname@example.org)