College of Media Spring Convocation
Sunday, May 13, 2018
12:30 pm – 2 pm
George Huff Hall, 1206 S. 4th St. Champaign, IL
The 2018 College of Media Convocation will be held in Huff Hall’s gymnasium on Sunday, May 13, 2018 from 12:30 – 2 pm. This ceremony is open only to College of Media graduates and their guests. No tickets are required for the College of Media Convocation ceremony.
Bachelor’s and Master’s Students
You are eligible to participate in the university-wide Commencement ceremony and the College of Media Convocation ceremony if you:
- Graduated in December 2017
- Plan to complete your degree in May 2018
- Plan to complete your degree in August 2018 and are reasonably close to finishing degree requirements – 13 hours or less for Bachelors; 8 hours or less for Masters.
You are eligible to participate in the May university-wide Commencement ceremony and the College of Media Convocation ceremony if you deposit your dissertation at the Graduate College Thesis Office by 5:00 pm on Friday, April 20, 2018. You will receive an email about registering in March. If you do not receive this email, please contact email@example.com or call 217-244-4329.
In order to participate in graduation events, all undergraduate students must first complete the College of Media Senior Survey available here. After completing the survey, you will be able to register to participate in the College of Media Convocation ceremony. The deadline to register is April 27, 2018. Graduating Master’s and Doctoral students will receive an email in March regarding registration details.
Please visit the university-wide Commencement site for details related to the university-wide Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 12, 2018 from 9:30 – 11:30 am at Memorial Stadium. Tickets are required to attend the university-wide Commencement ceremony. Registration for the university-wide ceremony is from March 1 – April 30, 2018. Caps and gowns (regalia) are required to participate in this ceremony.
All graduates must wear University of Illinois custom caps and gowns (regalia) to participate in the College of Media Convocation and/or the university-wide Commencement ceremony, rented from Herff Jones Cap and Gown Company. Orders for regalia can be placed starting January 16, 2018 – April 12, 2018 at 10:00 pm CST for pick-up at ARC. You do not pay for your regalia ahead of time – you pay when you pick up your cap and gown, and you must pay by cash or check. Be sure to bring the receipt of your order with you. The cost of the regalia is as follows:
- Bachelor’s mortarboard, gown, stole and tassel: $53.00
- Master’s or Advanced Certificate mortarboard, gown, hood and tassel: $60.00
- Doctoral mortarboard, gown, hood and tassel: $81.00
If you are choosing the ship-to home option, this is available from January 16 – April 12, 2018 at 10:00 pm. For the ship-to-home option, you will need to pay for your cap and gown plus the additional $18.95 for shipping and handling when placing your order. Return shipping is included.
Details on cap and gown pick-up:
Academic Attire will be distributed in the ARC Gym #1 at the following times:
- Wednesday, May 9: 11:00 am – 6:00 pm*
- Thursday, May 10: 11:00 am – 6:00 pm*
- Friday, May 11: 11:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Saturday, May 12: 7:30 am – 11:00 am
- Sunday, May 13: 7:30 am – 10:00 am
Remember to bring your receipt with you along with cash or a check made payable to Herff Jones. Credit cards are not accepted.
Some details about the regalia:
- Hang your regalia as soon as you can to let the wrinkles fall.
- Bachelor’s regalia includes a stole. This stole or the gown may require steaming (do not iron) due to wrinkles. If you do not have a steamer, hang the gown and stole up and let the steam from a hot shower begin the process.
- The stoles are slippery and often fall off your shoulders. Safety pinning it to the back of your gown is a very good idea.
- Wear your tassel on the right front quadrant of the mortarboard (cap).
- If you are a Bronze Tablet student, wear your braided cord on your left shoulder.
- No tennis shoes or flip flops, please. Dress shoes are preferred for this formal ceremony.
Details on gown return at ARC Gym 1: (note: a late return fee of $5.00 per day after May 14, 2018 will be assessed)
- Sunday, May 13: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Monday, May 14: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Bachelor’s degree students keep your cap, tassel, and stole of gratitude. Only the gown will need to be returned. After May 14, returns are accepted at the Illini Union Bookstore from May 15-18 between 9 am – 5 pm.
GradImages® will be photographing all graduates at Convocation. Visit their website to pre-register prior to May 12. Click on “Pre-Event Registration”, enter “University of Illinois”, click on “University of Illinois Media Grad,” and enter the contact information of your loved ones who would like to view and order graduation photos. After graduation, you may order online or call 1-800-424-3686.
Personalized Convocation announcements may be purchased through the Illini Union Bookstore, online through Herff Jones, or through local bookstores and copy shops.
The Champaign County Convention and Visitors Bureau website provides a listing of local hotel/motel information. For additional visitor information, you may contact them at 217-351-4133. Individuals needing accommodations for graduation weekend are encouraged to make reservations as soon as possible.
Honor cords are available to students who are in the top 20% of their graduating class and/or have completed all of the James Scholar requirements. Students’ invitation to graduation (sent by email) will indicate if you have graduated in the top 20% of the College of Media.
Students graduating with honors received an email in February indicating they graduated in the top 20% of their class and/or met their James Scholar requirements. The deadline to pick up the honor cord(s) you ordered online is Thursday, May 10 at 4:00 p.m. Please see Lori Bender in the Student Services office.
- Please wear your cap and gown to the Armory, and please zip it up prior to processing into Huff Hall. Please be mindful that it may take some time to find a parking spot. Check in at the Armory track at the appropriate table by your last name. Be sure to arrive beginning at 11:15 am and no later than 11:45 am. Please stay in the Armory Track area so we know where you are after check-in.
- When you check in, you will receive a card with your name on it, the pronunciation of your name (if needed), and your email address. It will also list where you need to stand in the processional. You will hand this card to the name reader at the podium/lectern on the stage. After your name is read on the stage, this card will be provided to the photographer so they can send you information about graduation pictures.
- Leave your belongings with a family member. The Armory will be closed before the College of Media ceremony concludes. It will not be open again until Monday morning.
Details about the Processional
- Your reader cards will indicate if you are to sit on the right side or the left side, such as R15 or L23.
- You will process in alphabetical order by major. First will be faculty, staff, and speakers, followed by Ph.D. students and Master’s degree students. Next are Bachelor’s degree students in Advertising, Agricultural Communications, Broadcast Journalism, Journalism, News-Editorial Journalism and then Media and Cinema Studies.
- You will walk into Huff Hall as a graduating class. There will be a map at check-in to help with this and to assist the Marshals.
- You will proceed in two lines out of the Armory through the south doors.
- Enter Huff Hall through the north doors.
- Faculty and candidates will remain standing until the Interim Dean invites you to sit.
Walking Across the Stage
- Marshals will assist with this process. Degree candidates will be asked to stand, proceed as directed to the lectern on the stage, and hand the name card to the reader. When your name is read, walk to the center of the stage, receive your diploma cover, shake hands with the Dean and a departmental representative, then exit the stage, smile for the photographer, and return as directed to your seat and be seated.
- The photographer from GradImages will be taking multiple pictures of you. One when you enter the stage, one when you receive your diploma, and one when you exit the stage. Please rely on GradImages to capture this moment.
About the Recessional
- Graduates and faculty members will stand in unison. The Interim Dean will lead the faculty off the stage, to the center aisle, and then out into the hallway. Graduates will follow row-by-row. In each row, graduates closest to the center aisle will lead his or her row following the faculty, each row being dismissed by the Marshals.
Doors to George Huff Hall Gymnasium open at 11:30 a.m. Guests should take their seats at least 10 minutes before the ceremony begins. The ceremony begins promptly at 12:30 p.m. The address of Huff Hall is 1206 S. Fourth St., Champaign, IL.
Seats on the floor behind the graduates are reserved for guests who cannot sit in the bleachers. Please do not take these seats unless it is necessary. The seats on the floor are on a first-come, first-served basis, so if you require these seats, please arrive early.
Huff Hall is not air-conditioned.
Please let your guests know that they cannot approach the stage to take your picture. GradImages® will be taking photographs as each student walks across the stage. Photographs will be available for purchase.
Accessible Entrances and Seats
Details and map can be found here.
More information can be found here.
Congratulations to all graduating College of Media students for attaining this significant achievement! More details will be posted on this website as the event draws closer.