College of Media Spring Convocation
Sunday, May 14, 2017
The 2017 College of Media Convocation will be held in Huff Hall’s gymnasium on Sunday, May 14, 2017 from 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm. This ceremony is open only to College of Media graduates and their guests. No tickets are required for the College of Media Convocation ceremony.
- Doors to George Huff Hall Gymnasium open at 11:30 a.m. Guests should take their seats at least 10 minutes before the ceremony begins. The ceremony begins promptly at 12:30 p.m. The address of Huff Hall is 1206 S. Fourth St., Champaign, IL.
- Seats on the floor behind the graduates are reserved for guests who cannot sit in the bleachers. Please do not take these seats unless it is necessary. The seats on the floor are on a first-come, first-served basis, so if you require these seats, please arrive early.
- Huff Hall is not air-conditioned.
- Please let your guests know that they cannot approach the stage to take your picture. GradImages will be taking photographs as each student walks across the stage. Photographs will be available for purchase.
Accessible Entrances and Seats
Details and map can be found here.
More information can be found here.
All graduates must wear University of Illinois custom caps and gowns (regalia) to participate in the College of Media Convocation and/or the campuswide Commencement ceremony.
Bachelor’s degree students keep your cap, tassel and stole of gratitude. Your gown will need to be returned to ARC following the College of Media Convocation ceremony.
Details on cap and gown pick-up:
Academic Attire will be distributed in the ARC Gym #1 at the following times:
- Wednesday, May 10: 11:00 am – 6:00 pm*
- Thursday, May 11: 11:00 am – 6:00 pm*
- Friday, May 12: 11:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Saturday, May 13: 7:30 am – 11:00 am
- Sunday, May 14: 7:30 am – 10:00 am
Remember to bring your receipt with you along with cash or a check made payable to Herff Jones. Credit cards are not accepted.
The cost of the apparel is as follows:
- Bachelor’s mortarboard, gown, stole and tassel: $50.00
- Master’s or Advanced Certificate mortarboard, gown, hood and tassel: $59.00
- Doctoral mortarboard, gown, hood and tassel: $80.00
Some details about the regalia:
- Hang your regalia as soon as you can to let the wrinkles fall.
- Bachelor’s regalia includes a special 150th anniversary orange stole. This stole or the gown may require steaming (do not iron) due to wrinkles. If you do not have a steamer, hang the gown and stole up and let the steam from a hot shower begin the process.
- The stoles are slippery and often fall off your shoulders. Safety pinning it to the back of your gown is a very good idea.
- Wear your tassel on the right front quadrant of the mortarboard (cap).
- If you are a Bronze Tablet student, wear your braided cord on your left shoulder.
- No tennis shoes or flip flops, please. Dress shoes are preferred for this formal ceremony.
Details on gown return at ARC: (note: a late return fee of $5.00 per day after May 15, 2017 will be assessed):
- Sunday, May 14: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Monday, May 15: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Bachelor’s degree students keep your cap, tassel, and stole of gratitude. Only the gown will need to be returned.
For those students graduating with honors and/or are James Scholars, the deadline to pick up the honor cord(s) you ordered online is Thursday, May 11 at 4:00 pm. Please see Joel Weidinger in the Student Services office.
You received an email between April 19 and 25 with “Outcomes Survey” in the subject line. Included in the email was a link to the Outcomes Survey. If you have not already done so, please complete this survey as soon as possible. It will ask you what your plans are post-graduation, your long-term email address, etc. The Outcome Survey will also be available when you pick up your regalia at the ARC, and during check-in at the Convocation ceremony at the Armory.
In order to avoid delays at check-in at the Convocation ceremony, you are highly encouraged to complete the Outcome Survey prior to May 14, 2017.
- GradImages will be photographing all graduates at Convocation. Visit their website to ensure you receive your online proofs in a timely manner before May 13 at www.gradimages.com and click on Pre-Event Registration. Enter “University of Illinois,” click on “University of Illinois Media,” and enter the contact information of your loved ones who would like to view and order graduation photos. After graduation, you may order online or call 1-800-424-3686.
- Please wear your cap and gown to the Armory, and be mindful that it may take some time to find a parking spot. Check in at the Armory track at the appropriate table by your last name. Be sure to arrive beginning at 11:15 am and no later than 11:45 am. Please stay in the Armory Track area so we know where you are after check-in.
- When you check in, you will receive a card with your name on it, the pronunciation of your name (if needed), and your email address. It will also list where you need to stand in the processional. You will hand this card to the name reader at the podium/lectern on the stage. After your name is read on the stage, this card will be provided to the photographer so they can send you information about graduation pictures.
- Leave your belongings with a family member. The Armory will be closed before the College of Media ceremony concludes. It will not be open again until Monday morning.
Details about the Processional
- Your reader cards will indicate if you are to sit on the right side or the left side, such as R15 or L23.
- You will process in alphabetical order by major. First will be faculty, staff, and speakers, followed by Ph.D. students and Master’s degree students. Next are Bachelor’s degree students in Advertising, Agricultural Communications, Broadcast Journalism, News-Editorial Journalism and then Media and Cinema Studies.
- You will walk into Huff Hall as a graduating class. There will be a map at check-in to help with this and to assist the Marshals.
- You will proceed in two lines out of the Armory through the south doors.
- Enter Huff Hall through the north doors.
- Faculty and candidates will remain standing until the Interim Dean invites you to sit.
Walking Across the Stage
- Marshals will assist with this process. Degree candidates will be asked to stand, proceed as directed to the lectern on the stage, and hand the name card to the reader. When your name is read, walk to the center of the stage, receive your diploma cover, shake hands with the Interim Dean and a departmental representative, then exit the stage, smile for the photographer, and return as directed to your seat and be seated.
- The photographer from GradImages will be taking multiple pictures of you. One when you enter the stage, one when you receive your diploma, and one when you exit the stage. Please rely on GradImages to capture this moment.
About the Recessional
- Graduates and faculty members will stand in unison. The Interim Dean will lead the faculty off the stage, to the center aisle, and then out into the hallway. Graduates will follow row-by-row. In each row, graduates closest to the center aisle will lead his or her row following the faculty, each row being dismissed by the Marshals.
Please visit the university-wide Commencement site for details related to the campuswide Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 13, 2017 from 9:30 am – Noon at Memorial Stadium. Tickets are required to this university-wide Commencement ceremony. Caps and gowns (regalia) are required to participate in this ceremony.
We are so happy you are participating in this ceremony to celebrate your outstanding achievement. Congratulations to you all!