2019 College of Media Spring Convocation
Sunday, May 12, 2019
George Huff Hall, 1206 S. 4th St., Champaign
This ceremony is open only to College of Media graduates and their guests. No tickets are required for the College of Media convocation ceremony.
Bachelor’s and Master’s Students
You are eligible to participate in the University of Illinois commencement ceremony and the College of Media convocation ceremony if you:
- Graduated in December 2018
- Plan to complete your degree in May 2019
- Plan to complete your degree in August 2019 and are reasonably close to finishing degree requirements—13 hours or less for a bachelor's degree; 8 hours or less for a master's degree
You are eligible to participate in the University of Illinois commencement ceremony and the College of Media convocation ceremony if you deposit your dissertation at the Graduate College Thesis Office by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 19, 2019. You will receive an email about registering in March. If you do not receive this email, please contact email@example.com or call 217-244-4329.
In order to participate in graduation events, all undergraduate students must first complete the College of Media Senior Survey. A link to the survey will be posted soon. After completing the survey, you will be able to register to participate in the College of Media convocation ceremony. The deadline to register is April 26, 2019. Graduating master’s and doctoral students will receive an email in March regarding registration details.
University of Illinois Commencement Ceremony
Please visit the University of Illinois commencement ceremony website for details related to the University-wide ceremony on Saturday, May 11, 2019, 9:30-11:30 a.m., at Memorial Stadium. Tickets are required to attend this University-wide commencement ceremony. Registration for the University-wide ceremony is March 1-April 24, 2019. Caps and gowns (regalia) are required to participate in this ceremony.
All graduates must wear University of Illinois custom caps and gowns (regalia) to participate in the College of Media convocation and/or the University-wide commencement ceremony, purchased from Herff Jones Cap and Gown Company. Orders for regalia can be placed starting January 7, 2019, through April 24, 2019, at 10:59 p.m. CST for pick-up at the ARC. You can pay for your regalia via a credit card when you place your order. Cancel if needed by April 24 by contacting Patty Storie of Herff Jones. There are no online cancellations.
There is new early pricing and regular pricing. Early pricing is effective January 7-April 11 and regular pricing takes effect after 10:59 p.m. on April 11-April 24. The cost of the regalia is as follows:
- Bachelor’s mortarboard, gown, stole, and tassel: $54 early; $74 regular
- Master’s or Advanced Certificate mortarboard, gown, hood, and tassel: $61 early; $81 regular
- Doctoral mortarboard, gown, hood, and tassel: $82 early; $102 regular
If you are choosing the ship-to-home option, this is available for a limited time, January 7-April 11, 2019, at 10:59 pm. For the ship-to-home option, you will need to pay for your cap and gown plus the additional $18.95 for shipping and handling when placing your order.
Bachelor’s degree students keep your cap, tassel and stole of gratitude. Your gown will need to be returned to ARC following the College of Media Convocation ceremony.
GradImages will be photographing all graduates at convocation. Visit their website to pre-register prior to May 11. Click on “Pre-Event Registration” at the top, enter “University of Illinois,” click on “University of Illinois Media,” and enter the contact information of your loved ones who would like to view and order graduation photos. After graduation, you may order online or call 1-800-424-3686.
Personalized convocation announcements may be purchased through the Illini Union Bookstore, online through Herff Jones, or through local bookstores and copy shops. For more information on announcements, please visit the University of Illinois commencement ceremony website.
The Champaign County Convention and Visitors Bureau website provides a listing of local hotel/motel information. For additional visitor information, you may contact them at 217-351-4133. Individuals needing accommodations for graduation weekend are encouraged to make reservations as soon as possible.
Honor cords are available to students who are in the top 20% of their graduating class and/or have completed all of the James Scholar requirements. Students’ invitation to graduation (sent by email) will indicate if you have graduated in the top 20% of the College of Media.
Candidates for college honors and/or recognition as James Scholars can purchase honor cords. Each honor cord costs $5.50 and can be purchased by credit card starting in March 2019.
- Doors to George Huff Hall Gymnasium open at 11:30 a.m. Guests should take their seats at least 10 minutes before the ceremony begins. The ceremony begins promptly at 12:30 p.m. The address of Huff Hall is 1206 S. Fourth St., Champaign, IL.
- Seats on the floor behind the graduates are reserved for guests who cannot sit in the bleachers. Please do not take these seats unless it is necessary. The seats on the floor are on a first-come, first-served basis, so if you require these seats, please arrive early.
- Huff Hall is not air-conditioned.
- Please let your guests know that they cannot approach the stage to take your picture. GradImages will be taking photographs as each student walks across the stage. Photographs will be available for purchase.
Accessible Entrances and Seats
Details and map can be found here.
More information can be found here.
Congratulations to all graduating College of Media students for attaining this significant achievement! More details will be posted on this website as the event draws closer.