College of Media Spring Convocation
Sunday, May 14, 2017
The 2017 College of Media Convocation will be held in Huff Hall’s gymnasium on Sunday, May 14, 2017 from 12:30 pm – 2:00 pm. This ceremony is open only to College of Media graduates and their guests. No tickets are required for the College of Media Convocation ceremony.
Bachelor’s and Master’s Students
You are eligible to participate in the campuswide Commencement ceremony and the College of Media Convocation ceremony if you:
- Graduated in December 2016
- Plan to complete your degree in May 2017
- Plan to complete your degree in August 2017 and are reasonably close to finishing degree requirements – as per campus requirements – 13 hours or less for Bachelor's; 8 hours or less for Master's.
You are eligible to participate in the May campuswide Commencement ceremony and the College of Media Convocation ceremony if you deposit your dissertation at the Graduate College Thesis Office by 5:00 pm on Friday, April 21, 2017. Students who are unable to deposit by this date but who wish to participate in the ceremony must receive the authorization of the Director of the Institute of Communications Research at least two weeks before this deadline. You will receive an email about registering in March. If you do not receive this email, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-244-4329.
In order to participate in graduation events, all undergraduate students must first complete the College of Media Senior Survey. The survey can be found here: http://go.media.illinois.edu/2017SeniorSurvey. After completing the survey, you will be able to register to participate in the College of Media Convocation ceremony. The deadline to register is April 28, 2017. Graduating Master’s and Doctoral students will receive an email in March regarding registration details.
Please visit the university-wide Commencement site for details related to the campuswide Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 13, 2017 from 9:30 am – Noon at Memorial Stadium. Tickets are required to this university-wide Commencement ceremony. Registration for the campuswide ceremony is from March 1 – April 30, 2017. Caps and gowns (regalia) are required to participate in this ceremony.
All graduates must wear University of Illinois custom caps and gowns (regalia) to participate in the College of Media Convocation and/or the campuswide Commencement ceremony, purchased from Herff Jones Cap and Gown Company. Orders for regalia can be placed starting January 16, 2017 – April 13, 2017 at 10:00 pm CST for pick-up at ARC. You do not pay for your regalia ahead of time – you pay when you pick up your cap and gown, and you must pay by cash or check. Be sure to bring the receipt of your order with you. The cost of the regalia is as follows:
- Bachelor’s mortarboard, gown, 150th Anniversary orange stole and tassel: $50.00
- Master’s or Advanced Certificate mortarboard, gown, hood and tassel: $59.00
- Doctoral mortarboard, gown, hood and tassel: $80.00
If you are choosing the ship-to home option, this is available for a limited time, from January 16 – March 22, 2017 at 10:00 pm. For the ship-to-home option, you will need to pay for your cap and gown plus the additional $15.95 for shipping and handling when placing your order.
Bachelor’s degree students keep your cap, tassel and stole of gratitude. Your gown will need to be returned to ARC following the College of Media Convocation ceremony.
GradImages will be photographing all graduates at Convocation. Visit their website to pre-register prior to May 13. Click on “Pre-Event Registration”, enter “University of Illinois”, click on “University of Illinois Media Grad,” and enter the contact information of your loved ones who would like to view and order graduation photos. After graduation, you may order online or call 1-800-424-3686.
Personalized convocation announcements may be purchased through the Illini Union Bookstore, online through Herff Jones, or through local bookstores and copy shops. For more information on announcements, please visit the university-wide Commencement website.
The Champaign County Convention and Visitors Bureau website provides a listing of local hotel/motel information. For additional visitor information, you may contact them at 217-351-4133. Individuals needing accommodations for graduation weekend are encouraged to make reservations as soon as possible.
Honor cords are available to students who are in the top 20% of their graduating class and/or have completed all of the James Scholar requirements. Students’ invitation to graduation (sent by email) will indicate if you have graduated in the top 20% of the College of Media.
Candidates for College honors and/or recognition as James Scholars can purchase honor cords. Each honor cord costs $5.50 and can be purchased by credit card starting in March 2017.
- Doors to George Huff Hall Gymnasium open at 11:30 a.m. Guests should take their seats at least 10 minutes before the ceremony begins. The ceremony begins promptly at 12:30 p.m. The address of Huff Hall is 1206 S. Fourth St., Champaign, IL.
- Seats on the floor behind the graduates are reserved for guests who cannot sit in the bleachers. Please do not take these seats unless it is necessary. The seats on the floor are on a first-come, first-served basis, so if you require these seats, please arrive early.
- Huff Hall is not air-conditioned.
- Please let your guests know that they cannot approach the stage to take your picture. GradImages will be taking photographs as each student walks across the stage. Photographs will be available for purchase.
Accessible Entrances and Seats
Details and map can be found here.
More information can be found here.
Congratulations to all graduating College of Media students for attaining this significant achievement! More details will be posted on this website as the event draws closer.