College of Media Spring 2020 Convocation
NOTE: The in-person convocation ceremony that we had scheduled for Sunday, May 17, has been canceled. Commencement has been postponed. Alternative plans are being made to honor our May 2020 graduates; we will share more information when new plans have been set.
Sunday, May 17, 2020
George Huff Hall, 1206 S. Fourth St., Champaign
Congratulations to all graduating College of Media students for attaining this significant achievement! This ceremony is open only to College of Media graduates and their guests. No tickets are required for the College of Media convocation ceremony.
Please contact Colleen Hammel, Office Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions. Additional details will be posted on this website as the event draws closer.
Bachelor’s and Master’s Students
You are eligible to participate in the University of Illinois Commencement ceremony and the College of Media convocation ceremony if you:
- Graduated in December 2019
- Plan to complete your degree in May 2020
- Plan to complete your degree in August 2020 and are reasonably close to finishing degree requirements—13 hours or less for a bachelor's degree; 8 hours or less for a master's degree
You are eligible to participate in the University of Illinois Commencement ceremony and the College of Media convocation ceremony if you deposit your dissertation at the Graduate College Thesis Office by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 24, 2020. You will receive an email about registering in March. If you do not receive this email, please contact email@example.com or call 217-244-4329.
In order to participate in graduation events, all undergraduate students must first complete the College of Media Senior Survey.
- Survey link: https://go.media.illinois.edu/2020SeniorSurvey
After completing the survey, you will be able to register to participate in the College of Media convocation ceremony. The deadline to register is April 23, 2020. Graduating master’s and doctoral students will receive an email in March regarding registration details.
Media Studies alumnus Stephen Feder (BS '02) will be our guest speaker. Feder is a producer at T-Street, a new independent studio led by filmmaker Rian Johnson and producer Ram Bergman, who recently launched the film Knives Out.
University of Illinois Commencement Ceremony
Please visit the University of Illinois Commencement ceremony website for details related to the University-wide Commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 16, 2020, 9:30-11:30 a.m., at Memorial Stadium. Tickets are required to attend; registration for the University-wide ceremony is January 1-April 23, 2020, at go.illinois.edu/register4commencement. Caps and gowns (regalia) are required to participate in this ceremony.
All graduates must wear University of Illinois custom caps and gowns (regalia) to participate in the College of Media convocation and/or the University-wide Commencement ceremony, rented from Herff Jones Cap and Gown Company. Orders for regalia can be placed starting January 6-April 16, 2020, at 10:59 p.m. CST for pick-up at the ARC. You can pay for your regalia via a credit card when you place your order. Cancel if needed by April 24 by contacting Patty Storie of Herff Jones. There are no online cancellations.
There is early pricing and regular pricing. Early pricing is effective January 6-April 16 at 10:59 p.m. CST and regular pricing takes effect April 17-April 29. The cost of the regalia is as follows:
- Bachelor’s mortarboard, gown, stole, and tassel: $55 early; $75 regular
- Master’s or Advanced Certificate mortarboard, gown, hood, and tassel: $63 early; $83 regular
- Doctoral mortarboard, gown, hood, and tassel: $82 early; $102 regular
If you are choosing the ship-to-home option, this is available January 6-April 16, 2020, at 10:59 pm. For the ship-to-home option, you will need to pay for your cap and gown plus the additional $18.95 for shipping and handling when placing your order. A return label is included. Once the order has shipped, it is too late to cancel.
Bachelor’s degree students keep your cap, tassel, and stole of gratitude. Your gown will need to be returned to ARC following the College of Media convocation ceremony.
GradImages® will be photographing all graduates at convocation. Visit their website to pre-register prior to May 15. Click on “Registration” at the top, enter “University of Illinois,” click on “University of Illinois Media,” and enter the contact information of your loved ones who would like to view and order graduation photos. After graduation, you may order online or call 1-800-424-3686.
Personalized convocation announcements may be purchased through the Illini Union Bookstore, online through Herff Jones, or through local bookstores and copy shops.
The Champaign County Convention and Visitors Bureau website provides a list of local hotel/motel information. For additional visitor information, contact them at 217-351-4133. Individuals needing accommodations for graduation weekend are encouraged to make reservations as soon as possible.
Honor cords are available to students who are in the top 20% of their graduating class and/or have completed all of the James Scholar requirements. Students’ invitation to graduation (sent by email) will indicate if you have graduated in the top 20% of the College of Media.
Candidates for College of Media honors and/or recognition as James Scholars can purchase honor cords. Each honor cord costs $5.50 and can be purchased by credit card starting in March 2020.
- Doors to George Huff Hall Gymnasium open at 12:30 p.m. Guests should take their seats at least 10 minutes before the ceremony begins. The ceremony begins promptly at 1:30 p.m. The address of Huff Hall is 1206 S. Fourth St., Champaign.
- Seats on the floor behind the graduates are reserved for guests who cannot sit in the bleachers. Please do not take these seats unless it is necessary. The seats on the floor are on a first-come, first-served basis, so if you require these seats, please arrive early.
- Huff Hall is not air-conditioned.
- Please let your guests know that they cannot approach the stage to take your picture. GradImages® will be taking photographs as each student walks across the stage. Photographs will be available for purchase.
Accessible Entrances and Seats
Details and map can be found here.