Richard and Leslie Frank Center for Leadership and Innovation in Media
ABOUT THE RICHARD AND LESLIE FRANK CENTER FOR LEADERSHIP AND INNOVATION IN MEDIA
Established in 2020, the Richard and Leslie Frank Center for Leadership and Innovation in Media will develop students who are leaders in their professions by offering access to a diverse group of experts and practitioners through residencies and a speaker series, and by supporting outside learning opportunities such as professional immersion experiences, conference participation, and internships. The Frank Center will also enhance opportunities for the College of Media to engage with the public on pressing issues.
A portion of the Franks’ gift will be used to create a state-of-the-art broadcast facility within Richmond Studio with renovations beginning Spring 2023. Additionally, their gift created two classrooms in Gregory Hall to accommodate the use of new technologies and to offer space for media editing and production.
SPRING 2024 EVENTS
- POSTPONED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER: Frank Center Student Workshop: Master Inception
- January 30: Frank Center Student Workshop: Field Camera
- February 6: Frank Center Student Workshop: Level Up Your Interviews
- March 4: Frank Center Student Workshop: Meet News Anchor Robert Holguin
Sign up to receive email announcements about upcoming Frank Center events.
ABOUT THE FRANKS
Rich Frank, former president of Disney Studios, and Leslie (Miller) Frank, an Emmy award-winning broadcast journalist, both now vintners and hospitality leaders in Napa Valley, wanted to make an investment in the University of Illinois that would have an impact for generations.
“We are encouraged our contribution will help create the highest level of learning for the next generation of journalists and that we are able to play a part in elevating the stature of the program at Illinois, making it a top destination for students and faculty,” said Rich and Leslie Frank.
Hear an interview with the Franks on Illinois Public Media's The 21st Show, aired October 13, 2022.
Richard and Leslie Frank also spoke with the student-produced broadcast UI7 Live in advance of the October 13 panel "Reporting on Politics and Elections in 2022." Watch the segment:
FALL 2023 EVENTS
- October 23: A Conversation with Brian Williams • View photos • Watch the video
- October 25: Frank Center Student Workshop: Broadcast Writing
- November 1: Q&A with Kara Swisher • Watch the video
SPRING 2023 EVENTS
- January 23: Frank Center Student Workshop: Generating Story Ideas
- January 25: Frank Center Student Workshop: Teleprompter Reading
- March 2: Q&A with Sports Writer and Novelist Will Leitch | Watch the video
- March 7: Q&A with NBC News and MSNBC National Political Correspondent Steve Kornacki | Watch the video
- March 23: Frank Center Student Workshop: Seth Fein & Smile Politely
- April 13: Frank Center Student Workshop: Reporting on Chicago
- Frank Center Student Workshop: Teleprompter Reading | View photos
- Q&A with Pulitzer Prize-Winning Alum Eli Murray | Watch the video
- Reporting on Politics and Elections in 2022 | View photos. | Watch the video
- Q&A with Washington Post Chief Correspondent Dan Balz on the Georgia Senate Runoff | Watch the video
- Frank Center Conversation on Media Leadership & Innovation with Leslie Frank, Peter Alexander, Judy Hsu | Watch the video