About the PR Minor
Public relations is a growing field in the U.S. and globally.
For example, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the number of jobs for public relations specialists and managers will increase by 12 percent by 2020; by 21 percent for social media and online community managers; and by 33 percent for event planners and organizers.
According to the 2016 Global Communications Report, over the next five years worldwide PR agency revenue will increase from $14 billion annually to more than $19 billion a year. This growth will produce an estimated 26 percent increase in jobs at global PR agencies.
So, how can the PR minor at the University of Illinois prepare you for one of these jobs?
We’ve designed the curriculum so that you will learn basic and intermediate strategies that organizations use to develop and maintain positive relationships with their stakeholders and internal and external publics, such as employees, journalists and bloggers, investors and donors, and geographical and virtual communities that are relevant to the organization.
We also included a range of advanced topics courses that will help you develop more specialized skills in areas, such as PR writing and social media, media relations, corporate social responsibility and crisis communication.
Apply to the PR Minor
Application to the minor in public relations is competitive, and the decision for admittance will be based on cumulative grade point average (minimum 3.0), application essays, and a demonstrated interest in public relations. Interested students must be currently enrolled in or have already completed at least one of the required core classes by the end of the current semester at the time of the application.
There are two application cycles each year:
- September 1-30, 2019
- January 1-31, 2020
Notifications of admittance to the minor for the first application cycle will be sent near the end of October. Notifications for the second application cycle will be sent in early March.
To apply for the PR minor:
- Fill out the online application form during the times mentioned above: APPLY HERE
- You will need to attach to your application a PDF of your academic history (i.e., unofficial transcript found in the Student Self-Service/Enterprise website or a degree audit report). To correctly upload your degree audit report to your application, please follow these instructions:
- After generating your current degree audit report, click "Print."
- Select "Adobe PDF" as your printer option.
- Click "Print/Save" to save a copy.
- Upload your saved degree audit report to your PR minor application
- The Statement of Intent to Pursue a Campus-Approved Minor form is also required as part of the online application. Only the student's information at the top and his/her signature is needed to submit the form. Both the sponsoring unit and the student's college of enrollment will sign the form if your application is accepted.