Communicating Science and Technology Certificate
Career opportunities for scientists and engineers who are skilled at translating discoveries and innovations to a general audience are substantial and growing. Designed especially for undergraduates in the social, behavioral and natural sciences and engineering, but open to all majors, the Communicating Science and Technology Certificate provides an opportunity to build skills in communicating effectively about complex topics across media platforms—a huge advantage in virtually every profession.
Certificates do not appear on a transcript. Admission to the certificate program does not guarantee registration in certificate courses.
Courses in the certificate are offered by several departments in the colleges of Media, ACES, LAS, and AHS. Please note that you must choose courses from at least three different departments to complete the certificate.
Choose FOUR courses from this list. At least one course must be at the 300- or 400-level.
- ADV 200: Data Literacy (3 hours)
- ADV 480: Social Media Analytics (3 hours)
- AGCM 220: Communicating Agriculture (3 hours)
- AGCM 230: Agricultural and Environmental Photography (3 hours)
- AGCM 315: Social Media Management in Agricultural Communication (3 hours)
- AGCM 330: Environmental Communications (3 hours)
- AGCM 495: Communicating Science (3 hours)
- AGCM 380: Publication Development and Production (3 hours)
- CHLH 203: Introduction to Health Technology (3 hours)
- CHLH 441: Health Behavior and Technology (3 hours)
- CHLH 470: Technology, Health and Aging (3 hours)
- CMN 260: Intro to Health Communication (3 hours)
- CMN 280: Communication Technology & Society (3 hours)
- CMN 464: Health Communication Campaigns (3 hours)
- CMN 465: Social Marketing (3 hours)
- JOUR 220: News Editing (4 hours)
- JOUR 240: Intro to Documentary Storytelling & Production (3 hours)
- JOUR 410: Data Storytelling for Journalists (4 hours)
- JOUR 427: Broadcast Meteorology (3 hours)
- JOUR 440: Data Visualization (4 hours)
- JOUR 471: Science Journalism (3 hours)
Once all certificate coursework is complete, please fill out the Communicating Science and Technology Certificate Completion Form to receive your certificate.
Contact email@example.com with any questions.